View Single Post
Old April 2nd 2007, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVW View Post
The good part about the mustang setup is that you don't need to know much about steering design because it has been perfected in the setup.
this is only true if you are using the mustang II sock width, ride height and everything.

I'm using mustangII spindles on my locost (lotus 7 replica) and after plugging the MII dimensions into a suspension analyser I came to the conclusion that there is a lot of room for improvement. In an unequal length non paralell A-arm suspeension, you want as minimal movement of the roll center as possible, first of all the MII roll center was a little higher than I liked, and second it was all over the map in bump and roll.

I've dialed it in for my setup, so I get less than .05 inches of movement in 2" bump or a 3 degree roll, with the roll center at 1" below ground level. My rear suspension is a little looser woth .08" of movement and a roll center of 2" above ground level.

Once I'm finished this project, I'm going to build a new pan for my beetle with A-arm suspension front and rear, I'm fairly sure it "can " be done without cutting the pan (at least in the front) but it would be easier, stronger and lighter to cut out the old and build an all new sub structure.

If I were to market a kit to replace the stock front end with a A-arm unit I'd make it a weld in, so the owner will have to take some responsibility for it.