View Single Post
Old November 30th 2010, 05:14

Quote:
I am just so surprised that amongst all the other custom parts he makes, he does not have (made) or use alu-nikasil cylinders
He has developed his own alu-nicasil cylinders about 10 years ago and still has them in his program,theyīre on his website also.They have very thick walls and start with a 100mm bore.The reason he doesnīt use them with his big heads, and I did ask him when I had the "Alusil" cylinders in my hand is simple: A.) they cost a lot to make. B.) he has never had cooling or sealing issues with the much cheaper and stronger Deutz cylinders.In his opinion,the temperature problems do not result frrom the cylinders,but from the heads.He simply hasnīt had the need to use the Alusil (as he calls them) cylinders when his head temps are 160° C on the street.Heads,exhaust,tuning and of course a proper fan shroud is more important according to to him.

@Don m: Don Pauterīs 3 liter motor is impressive and I know itīs been in his Ghia since 2005 as a daily driver.The question is,however,how would it hold up on the european autobahns where the average speed is much higher than in the states? Here we have an overall average of about 130Km/h (80mph) ,sometimes full throttle of 130+mph for for 5 or 10 minutes regularly.Iīm not doubting Don Pauters ability or his quality,but that engine is made for a differe3nt market, like the typical daily driver and weekend 1/4 mile racer.