View Single Post
Old December 23rd 2010, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

Is there much heat around your air filter intake?

Steve
There is, but I'll be making an airbox this winter to pull air from a hole I'm going to cut underneath the popes nose to get ambient air. Also will be heat wrapping the turbo and all the piping to get the heat out of the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
I voted air 2 air.

Regardless of which path you choose, you'll need to fit all of the components based on your packaging restraints.

Wally's solution obviously works for him, and the results cannot be disputed. He has published the temp deltas for all to see, so you can come to your own conclusions.

My old air to water system worked great ( pwr 4" barrel ) and I could get the intake temps to below ambient with ice, but that only lasted about 30 mins on the street. When parked outside during the afternoon, I had intake temps above ambient because of heat soak, and the water took some time to cool while driving.

Imagine sitting under the sun at a show all afternoon, and then hitting the highway on the way home, trying to battle a tuned Jetta, and wondering why the engine does not feel strong.

I've got temp data from my air / water system, but Wallys solution is better overall at keeping temps in check, from data that he has freely provided.

Sandeep
You've hit the nail on the head there, my resevoir and intercooler will be in the interior not in the engine bay so heat soak from sitting won't be AS bad, just as hot as it is in the car. Also having cooler intake air will help cool the water while not on boost.

How big were the radiator/heat exchangers that you guys were using and where were they mounted?