View Single Post
Old January 2nd 2011, 00:12

I've heard of Air to water using engine coolant in industrial engines but not for an automotive application.

Jak you have some very good points, I also believe that if I clean up some little things it will make a big difference, but overall I'm not happy with the charge piping/routing and if I'm going in there anyway I might as well do a complete redesign rather than change a few things trying to make it work with possible future changes.

On the list is cold air intake, raise the intake manifold up 3/4" to acheive a straight inlet to the turbo (with cold air too) and also thermally isolate the intake manifold from the block, heat wrap/polish ex mani's, heat wrap turbo and down pipe.

The fuzion intercooler is a very neat concept but I think having a heat sink instead of a more steady state approach I would constantly be checking temps and generally be paranoid about it.

I think I might be sold on the air to water, mainly because I'm not running huge boost (for this turbo/combination) meaning I should be in the higher efficiency range of the turbo and don't need mega cooling. For the front coolers I was thinking of using two aluminum motocross bike radiators stacked one in front of each other just because they fit the size perfectly (like pic below), but its hard to find any data on what is big enough for a front exchanger. Most just say 'biggest you can fit'. I've done some calcs but only testing would prove anything.

Anyway, Ii'll hopefully be starting tearing it apart in a month or so and I'll update my build thread with pics.

Last edited by Eatoniashoprat; January 2nd 2011 at 00:26.