View Single Post
Old July 19th 2004, 18:21

Location: California (Southern for school, northern for summer)
Distributor issues...I think

Last week I pulled my engine apart and replaced all of the seals along with the garbage pushrod tubes that were on it to try and oil-proof the blasted thing. When I went to put it back in I came upon something of a problem...it won't start. It turns over but there's no spark. I traced the problem to the distributor. Using a volt meter I found 12.4 vdc coming out of the coil (big black wire to distributor cap). The problem is that there is no juice getting to the spark plugs. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is the fact that it ran like a champ til the day I pulled it (except for the oil of course). I tried everything I could think of: checked a wiring diagram, adjusted the points, adjusted the timing, cleaned ALL of the contacts...I even tried a completely different distributor from a car my dad just bought. Nothing. I'm sure it is something simple like a wire in the wrong spot or something like that but I can't figure it out. I took the weekend off to clear my mind but I'm gonna jump back on it tonight but I was hoping I could get some direction before I wasted more of my time.

On a side note...I put on disc brakes and the calipers hit my wheels in a big way. I guess I have to get some tries mounted on the EMPI 8-spokes I have out back. Even then I'll still have to take the tiniest bit of material off the calipers. That bites. I better get back to work before I start to hate my car again...