View Single Post
Old July 6th 2020, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
I know there are other / lighter / cheaper / easier options, I am just showing how to make the parts work that I already have.

I am curious about the pre '78 924 spindles. What 5 lug hub or disk is used for the axial mounted Brembo calipers that require 299 x 28 mm. disks? And are the 94mm. caliper holes the same radial distance from the axle as on the '86 turbo spindle?
Look at you, going right to the problem!

Those of us in the States with Supers got screwed out of factory disc brakes, for some unknown reason, so when I saw how similar the 924(early) spindle was to 1303 spindle, I had such great hope. The biggest drawback to the 924 spindle is the mounting ears.

The 924 uses a 257mm(10.1 inch) rotor, thus the ears place the caliper too close, radially, to the axle line for most of the rotors we might use, so some kind of adapter would be required. This would probably be good for radially mounted calipers, but if using axially mounted calipers, you might as well just use 1303 spindles with the typical disc brake conversion adapters and have no steering geometry issues.

The other, relatively minor, issue with 924 spindles is the steering arm. It is identical to the arm on 944 spindles. So, if you've already made accommodations for 944 arms, as far as the tie rod length goes, you're set. You also need to flip the tie rod end to the top, like you would for 944 spindle.

That's it. Just another option

Last edited by H2OSB; July 6th 2020 at 16:16.