View Single Post
Old September 28th 2010, 11:32

First race in the race car! She's fast, but had grip problems up front and I didn't realize why until I got home. I was trying to chase down the buggies and got within 2 seconds of them on a short technical course. I think 1 second of that is suspension (it wasn't anywhere near dialed in) and 1 second of that is tires (they are on real slicks and I'm on grooved semi-slicks).

I spent the entire autox run in first gear, topping out at 52mph when bouncing on the rev limiter. During the 4th run I hit 24psi max but built so much case pressure it blew out the 1-2 valve cover gasket. Even though there was no rear sway bar there was much more body roll than I expected. I may do some more trimming down (doors especially) and corner weigh the car again, to make sure my springs aren't too soft.

On the way home, about a half mile from my house, the rear passenger lower shock mount broke with a loud bang. The bolt just sheered in half. I know of dozens of 944 track cars using these racers edge bolts so I didn't expect mine to fail. After looking at the pics I'm pretty sure I was bottomed out on the rear coilovers, which would explain the excessive understeer I saw, and all that force went into the bolt.

Now for the good stuff

I was only able to get 1 video, because I thought the camera was on during the other runs and it wasn't :P This was my quickest run, finishing in 58.5.

http://vimeo.com/15360537