View Single Post
Old August 14th 2020, 02:09
Administrator

Okay, so I thought I'd be able to figure out where I put the alignment print-out, but it's buried in the box of accounting to be sorted, and I haven't dug it out yet. I can tell you that I'm running 1.5deg of negative camber on both sides, factory toe settings, and zero caster shims, letting the caster settle where it is. My caster is steeper than anyone else seems to run, or suggest...but I prefer the snappier feel on the steering, and don't mind the fact that it doesn't "unwind" as quick automatically. I drive the car, not the other way around.

Rear is factory toe setting, -2deg of camber, possibly -2.5. That's one of the things I wanted to check.

My driving style in a Beetle is to get as much braking done as I can before the corner, in a straight line. I'm initiating the corner, just as I'm rolling off the brakes. Typically I'm fully off the brakes by the time I've "turned-in". I'm rolling onto the throttle before the apex, steering the car with the throttle. I'm not breaking the rear end loose, but the throttle is definitely used to help steer the car through. The Rally Bug has a very narrow warning that things are going to break loose, and when it does (on Tarmac) you better be ready for it to snap. Because the traction coefficient is lower on gravel or snow, it's more predictable on the transition into sliding. Breaking it loose on tarmac becomes a "oh S***!" save-it moment.

The German Looker didn't have enough bite on turn in when I initially set it up. There was a moment of understeer before things would turn-in the way I like, and I found it very unsettling. Figured it was sway bar or spring rate related, until a buddy suggested I lower the front tire pressure. Changed it to 18psi up front and 26psi in the rear on the German Look vs the 20psi up front and 26 in the rear of the Rally Bug I was running...and all is right with the world.

The German Looker is way over tire'd. Between the size and tire choice, it's so sticky I haven't found the limit yet...wet or dry. I haven't pushed it wet super hard, because it's been on open roads and I don't know how bad it will snap, but I can't even get it to give me any warning. I've pushed things hard enough in the dry that something is flexing enough to push the brake pads back in the caliper...but still it won't slide or even deviate from the line I'm pointing it at. It's both awesome, and totally scary, at the same time.

It's low. Really low. 86mm between the spoiler and ground at rest, 90mm between the bottom of the shock tower and the road at rest. I've never scraped the beam or shock towers, but I scuff the front spoiler on every drive that's been spirited. Keep in mind all my roads are mountain roads, and have frost heaves, broken sections, etc. I bob and weave, but I'm not going to slam on the brakes. I consider the front spoiler paint to be a disposable and presume I'll be removing it and repainting it every oil change. I consider the actual spoiler to be somewhat disposable. I'm not going to purposely wreck it, but if I'm having a great drive and it hits the ground...I'm not crying. If the drive makes me smile, I'm okay with it. Speedbumps and driveways, though, make me cry. Mostly because I forget to factor in the 86mm clearance and have done some stupid maneuvers that were totally avoidable. Similar to my lowered '58. I've hit the front apron while leaving a plaza, which just hurts. It's 5kph, you can bloody see it, and it's just total brain fart that causes the damage. For the most part, though, I wouldn't say I need to be "especially cautious" like I see some tuner guys. I take the German Look everywhere, and even took it on (smoother) dirt roads for camping. It's my lowest beetle, but it's not so low that I can't use it.

STL files are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/85gj6svnnm...ttons.zip?dl=0

...at least until I notice the access to my dropbox is a little high :P Keep in mind that I model everything in Rhino3D, and then convert to STL. It can make some interesting file issues, but they still print fine for me in this particular case. Single and Two button versions in the zip file. I sure hope I put the right versions in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 11.03.19 PM.jpg (81.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 11.05.33 PM.jpg (80.8 KB, 16 views)
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap