View Single Post
Old November 3rd 2005, 15:29

This where you have to look at what you want and decide if you can wait for it. The expensive part of going type IV in a type I powered car is the intial expense of the conversion. You got to get cooling whether its a DTM, upright conversion, or Porsche style. Exhaust is not cheap, a BAS header with shipping over $400 plus you got the muffler to figure out. Carbs with type 4 manifolds, brand new Weber IDF's are a pretty penny nowadays. External oil coolers, modifing decklids for clearance. Mating the engine to the tranny can be pricey too, 210-215mm bus flywheel, lightned, resurfaced, a clutch. God help you if your going to use a 901 box cause then you'll need a 914 flywheel and a 911/914 clutch and even a stock setup is a bit of money.
I've had my 914 for almost 3 years, i've put 55,000 miles on it, and for me that is a miracle cause I break type 1 motors, built/stock, fresh/tired I break them. Now is it worth all that initial expense to put that kind of engine into a bug, and if it's a stock 2.0L it will only make if your lucky 100hp. Built type IV's are another huge expense on top of all of that.
There is alternative power plants too and I'm glad there are several guys on here who have already converted to scooby power. I read all their posts with a open mind. I think that is a solution for most bang for your buck but like everthing you do to these cars there will be negatives for the pluses. The most obvious is having to install a radiator.
Research, research, research!!!!