View Single Post
Old November 24th 2005, 05:02

As the thread-starter, I feel that it is okay for me to reel the discussion back to its original premise. In the meantime, I hope we are having lively debates and not headed into anything mean-spirited.

First off, I have already made the changes in brakes and suspension. There may be an eventual tweak I want to do but that is so far down the road from here it's not even funny.

Second, I am not looking for crazy horsepower and I am not looking to being the biggest bad cat around. I do want plenty of giddy-up should I need it from a stand-still. And I want plenty of power so the only thing separating me and some other driver is the difference between me and that other driver (unless he chooses to drive an underpowered beast).

I do like the power curve of my stock engine; I just don't like how low it is. If it is doubled to tripled at the wheels, I would be desiring about 100-130 HP at 4100 RPMs and 140-200 LB-FT of torque at 2700.

I do not know an assembler of a Type 4 engine much less a good one. And that's regardless of price.

My long-time mechanic is willing to install whatever I decide on getting as long as it does not require fabrication. And they (at the shop) are willing to do any fixing or regular maintenance it would need. They are not willing to assemble anything, however.

My mechanic is willing to put me in touch with someone he knows who builds Type 1 engines. He has enough faith in this guy as a builder (and, perhaps, me as an anal retentive owner) he would back up that work with a year's guarantee.

I have not met with this cat yet so I appreciate the suggestions being bandied about as far as other builders of Type 1 engines are concerned.

(By the way, I happened to be at the Gene Berg site on another issue and wandered into the "engines" page. I did not see a 2110 listed. Perhaps that is because they are into the drag racing scene and a 2110 is not the best option for their typical customer.)

Anyone doing a search on my posts here and elsewhere (or possessing a strong memory) knows I had sort of thought a 2270 T4 was going to be my Super's engine. There are reasons I am starting to waver on this plan. None of those reasons have anything to do with a loss of respect I have for the T4 engine.

I stated in an earlier post within this thread saying "someone" can build it--whatever "it" is--is not workable in my situation.

If buying a kit and having someone build it is your best suggestion, I am all ears ... or eyes, I guess. But that someone needs to be named to stay within the parameters of my origianl thread.

To be fair, I did not mention having a potential lead on a T1 builder because (a) I still haven't met him, and (b) I wanted a fair fight between the T1 and T4 and any other solution offered.

So far, there have been three or four T1 builders mentioned and recommended. While a 2056 T4 was suggested, no builder was attached. The only builder I know is Jake, and I already posted excerpts of potential pricing with that route. (An interesting aside, I posted the question of alternative builders of T4 engines over a year ago at another site. Some bird brain there chided me about doing a search--as if I hadn't done it already. A year later I revisited that thread still without an answer. And I still didn't get one--even from the know-it-all bird brain.)

Again, I am doing a ballpark figure with the 8k. I have to see how my money turns over to know for sure what that figure is going to be. I think I know what I am going to do if that figure is higher or lower. Eight thou seems to be the figure that puts me in turmoil.

I have said before and I will keep repeating it as it applies ... I appreciate all of the responses. I am absorbing it all.