View Single Post
Old January 20th 2006, 08:41

I'm ba-a-a-a-ack.

I still have the two possibilities swishing about in my noggin -- a 2056 or 2270 T4 built by NO_H2O and a 2110 T1 built by one of three suggested sources. Since my last post on this subject, two other possibilities came to mind.

Well, actually, I want to be told the pros and cons of whether they are indeed possibilities.

I didn't want to hijack other threads. Please remember the stipulations in my $8,000 question -- the main two being the cost must include labor and I do not have the facility or the know-how to perform the labor myself.

The first is a Vanagon (USA name) engine converted to air-cooled. I owned a Vanagon for six years and loved it. I am talking about the engines used between 1983 and 1991; not the air-cooled predecessor T4 engine which I understand has issues of its own.

The second is a Corvair six-cylinder engine.

Off the top of my head, it would seem that the price issue and the hp/torque issue would be met as potential "pros."

The potential downside of the Corvair engine is it may not fit. I am buying a magazine/manual about the Corvair engine. It has an article in it about conversion for VW usage. I fear that it will fit Type 4 cars, dune buggies and Bajas more easily than a GL 1302 that doesn't want to headbutt onlookers with its appearance.

The ironic potential downside to the Vanagon engine is the fact that if I ever own another Vanagon, I will probably stuff a TDI in it. Of course in that case, I would be keeping the radiator. The other potential downside is finding someone to do the conversion. There is a three-year old thread here and an article of unknown vintage at home which will require my reading a few more times.

Any thoughts? Am I still at the original two possibilities?