View Single Post
Old November 21st 2005, 03:08

I selected $8,000 for this thread for two reasons.

First, another thread was bouncing all over the place depending on the importance of cost in the project. This price point is somewhat in the middle of what the budget may be when the time comes.

Second, it is a price point that is difficult for a fully built Type 4 including exhaust. Below are some sample quotes from Shop Talk Forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGUN63
Jake, How much is a 2270 going for now a days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Most sell between 8-10K and up to 13.5 with developments and EFI..
Now I realize the question was about a 2270 while NO_H20's suggestion is a 2056. But, from a different STF's thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE TYPE IV
The 2016 MAY be a possibility as a full build- but it'll cost just as much labor as a 2270 that makes 40HP more... They take the same amount of my time.
This is not an empty exercize on my part. I enjoy all of the suggestions. I have learned a lot from the above and combined with what I have been learning including from Dyno Day recently, the right decision for me is becoming clear.

At the same time, I don't want to call Jake or any of the suggested Type 1 builders until I know exactly where I stand financially. There was conjecture on other threads on this and other forums that similar displacement Type 1 and Type 4 engines would cost similarly to each other. It seems this myth is now busted.

If my budget becomes $6,000 or $10,000, I think I have a grasp on what I would do. The $8,000 budget seems to be difficult for a correctly built Type 4 and more than enough for a correctly built Type 1.

Above all, it seems I will have nice options regardless of my future budget. Thanks to all who responded. It has been great for me.