View Single Post
Old December 12th 2011, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdlvr View Post
Hi Clive,

My car is definitely not a true replica, and more of a 'tribute'. I intend to have the exterior as close to a replica as possible, and everything under the skin will be improved or modified to my personal tastes. Factory drivers, for instance, complained that the rear drum brakes weren't strong enough. I had always planned from day one to run 4-wheel discs.

I'm building the car for TSD, Drivex, Rally-cross and Ice-cross racing. ..............-Dave
Hi Dave, have you thought about installing a compression strut for the front suspension and then disconnecting the anti-roll bar from the caster control duty? That would have serious benefits, the front end would be better controlled and the forces would be channelled back ito the strongest and torsionally stiffest part of the chassis. I am working on a slight variation that creates a compression strut back to the Nap hat area, which will allow a degree of anti-dive to be dialled in by locating the inner pivot above the TCA pivot point.
In a 'normal' Macpherson strut competition car the anti-dive is dialled in by dropping the pivot points for the anti-roll bar (vulnerably) lower but using a compression strut the rear pivot is raised keeping everything out of harms way. As you know anti-dive is worthwhile in loose stage cars as it stops the nose diving into the dirt and upsetting the suspension angles particularly the camber, which is the weakness of the strut suspension. The camber goes very negative under dive and you lose grip.

Just a thought.

Clive