View Single Post
Old March 6th 2011, 18:56

yes, I took 4 milimeters off it, so it will go by that measurement more inside the gearbox bellhousing, towards the flywheel ring gear. I remember the user Tomac here on the forums was saying that you could/should use a hi-torque IMI starter, and machine 5mm off it. But in my case, having the original 911 starter, I thought about trying to modify it instead of buying another one.
If I remember correctly, those 2 brackets with the bolt holes, are 12mm thick. By taking 4mm off, it still has plenty material left to stay strong.
I don't know if it engages the ring gear well, but this week I'm gonna try to mount the flywheel, disc and press.plate on the engine, and then do some measurements.
The one thing I'm a bit concerned about is that the pressure plate would go too far inside the bellhousing when mounted on the engine, and hitting the release bearing. But that too has to be measured first.

About the conversion flywheel, I took it into consideration, because I already had a very good 915 clutch disc, pressure plate and release bearing. But it seems more complicated and more expensive for the long run. I just hope it's gonna work in this configuration, and maybe go hydraulic in the future.