View Single Post
Old May 21st 2006, 12:59

Most things beyond oil changes or tire rotations will be uncharted territory for me until I get a garage. I did have the opportunity to assist with the suspension/brake project at my longtime mechanic's place of business on a couple of weekends way back when. Someday I'll be more of a DIY'er ... maybe when I get a 1303.

Since I have to repurchase everything, I have two more questions.

(1) Do I really need the amp? The reason I ask is my 2002 Cabrio had a head unit swap with the exact same Alpine I want to get for my Super. If I have the volume up to just the half-way point, it is blasting me out of the car. I can only imagine going that high if I'm cranking The Who's Live at Leeds at 80 MPH with the top down.

(2) Should I consider switching from a generator to an alternator? I was going to ask this when it came time for the drivetrain upgrade but since this electrical, I thought maybe it was worth asking now. I guess the three choices in answers are (i) yes, now, (ii) yes but wait until you upgrade the engine and transmission, and (iii) no, as long as everything is okay, don't bother.