View Single Post
Old November 26th 2005, 22:24

Subaru motor, yet another thread.

I am definately putting a subaru motor in my bug now. my 2110 siezed up with under 1,000 miles on it.. actually i am almost certain it is under 500 miles.

I want to part out what i can from that motor and hopefully be able to afford the swap to a subaru with it..

so my budget is right around 1500. + maybe 500 from other things i am selling on ebay at the moment. I dont have a job thanks to my motor siezing =(

so. 2000 is my absolute budget.

I want to get a subaru motor from the junk yard, what should i look for?
i dont know what motors are what, but i was thinking the 2.0 or 2.2 turbo?
cost is also an issue.. i'll go for the non turbo if the difference in price would keep me from completing the conversion.

I have a 71 super beetle with stock tranny. but i will over to some other tranny when funds are available.

my fabrication skills are limited. I can cut the metal and create the ducting for the radiator no problem.

I may try running the hoses for the radiator through the heater channels because i wont be using them. i will cut the ends of them out and simply duct the hosing through them.

I will also want to use some heatercores for heating since this will be a daily driver and it is cold durring the winter. I havent decided weather to maybe put them in the back behind the rear seat or up front behind the dash. But i haven't seen it done before.. everyone seems to just loop that off.

as for the exhaust i have no idea.. I can bend the pipes and possibly have them welded somewhere.. though i want to keep it quiet.. It would be quite a feat to have a bug thats no louder than every other car on the road.

I will be starting in a couple weeks when winter break starts. thats if i can get my motor sold.

There are so many wires and hoses on these subaru motors!!

also i noticed that things like the power steering pump can be removed.. what else? I might just leave the A/C connected for summertime since i know of a beetle that has everything but the compressor.

if you havent figured it out yet, i really dont know what im talking about

correct me :agree: