View Single Post
Old March 24th 2014, 19:35

All my projects are waking up as I come out of my busy season. The race bug is taking a bit longer but is getting more goodies than the other two. Recently I stumbled on not one, but two sets of spendy race wheels for a bargain. The first set I lucked into was some CCW CW10, mixed from a Cayman S and a GT3 in 18x8.5/9. I wrapped them in new Hankook Ventus F200 240/640R18 and 270/680R18 C51 tires, which I got of a racing buddy for cheap. The cazy part is these wheels are basically new, lass than 100 autox miles on the rims, basically 2 seasons. $1500 all told for this setup, almost 1/3 off it's new price.

The second set of wheels was a lucky find on ebay. I was looking to rebuild a set of Fikse 18" Profil 5S from wheel centers I got off a porsche team last year but no one had used barrels. A new set of barrels and hardware would have set me back about $2600 after tax/shipping. Looking for barrels the other day I come across a set of Fikse Profil 5S 17x9.5/10 for $1400 but one wheel needed an outer barrel half and center. $630 later and its on the way, all told a bit over $2000 for a set of wheels that cost almost twice that, not too shabby. No tires yet but those are coming once the last rim is rebuilt. That gives me 3 wide sets of wheels for the race bug, streets/rains, autox/hillclimb and track days.

Besides tires, I've been accumulating electrical necessities for the wiring job at hand, and once the other 2 cars are finished the wiring will start in earnest.