Thread: rear coil-overs
View Single Post
Old August 7th 2007, 23:37

I bought this bug as a project from Alex that had to let it go a few years ago. Most of the car came in boxes. The parts that were on the car are either hand tightened, or missing some of its fastners. So i'm going over everything.

From what i know they are 944T AL arms with Bilstein/Eibach coilovers and Remmele Uniball springplates. I don't know the details of the springrates. The bolt is pretty tight in the eyelet of the bottom mount. No play. I'll make sure its a 14mm hole and 14mm bolt. It was bolted so the "ball" inside the eyelet couldn't rotate/twist because of the spacer and bolt/washer that's around it. So i'll make some spacers with a small outer diameter and install them on the sides, then the bolt and spacer. This should allow the bottom mount to move freely.

This bottom bolt goes in about 1inch inside the arm before hitting a thread. The threads on the bolt that i pulled are terrible. Looks like it was fastened without everything lined up, and loaded, so it's crossthreaded.

Is the thread in the 944AL arm M14 x 1.5? M14 x 1.75? or is it something else? I will have to get new bolts and run a tap through them, and hope they are ok.

I took it apart to see if i can space the bottom of the coilover further away from the arm. If i don't, then i can't adjust the coilover lower as the springs and perch interfere with the arm. Not allowing it to be unscrewed lower. There is no motor in the car, and i don't think it will drop 4inches with the engine it to bring it to a decent ride height without looking like a 4x4. Figure i need to come out another inch so the arm doesn't touch the coilover.

The rear swaybar doesn't look right to me as i see nowhere that the ends can mount to. I believe Alex had said the swaybar was a modified 928 bar. Some guy on the net made it. I have no details on it. I was thinking of cutting it out and installing a generic Bugpack IRS bar as i have in my super.