Thread: rear coil-overs
View Single Post
Old August 11th 2007, 08:03

Pete, I haven't been able to reach him yet, but I will try again on monday.
Btw. Are you using an IRS pan? Or were the mounts for the trailing arms welded on?
Could you measure the extended length of the shocks (middle eye to eye)? I am looking for some double adjustable dampers that might fit.

I have been looking around for 944 coil-over options though, and most of them seem to use 2,25" = 57,15mm ID springs.
They are a little smaller than the 60mm Eibach ERS springs, it might be that those 1,5mm make (part of) the difference we need.

Attached is a picture from the Bilstein Cup coilover on a 944, using 2,25" ID springs. It doesn't interfere with the trailing arms and it's mounting eye is right against the trailing arm (ie not using something like the racers edge bolts to space the away from the trailing arms).
What is visible though, is that the bottom mounting eye is offset from the center of the shock.
What can be seen as well is that it's actually quiet a tight fit, with little clearance between the bottom spring perch and the trailing arm.
I would guess a 60mm ID spring might not fit in this case.

The 2nd attachment is a picture from a Koni 3012 damper + 2,25" ID springs.
It's mounting eye is in line with the centerline of the damper and it uses a spacer (racers edge one) to keep it from interfering with the trailing arms (+it acts as an adapter for 14mm->1/2")
It seems there is more space available with this setup, so a 60mm ID spring might work with this.

All in all it seems a small spacer might fix the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 944_bilstein_cup.jpg (75.7 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 944_rear_koni_3012.jpg (43.4 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Simon; August 12th 2007 at 07:10.