View Single Post
Old February 17th 2004, 21:37

count me in. i didn't see resolution to the copyright issue. being a musician (somewhat of ex-musician as of a few months ago), i am a little biased in this area. it is only right that the copyright owner be aware and asked for approval and paid royalties. they are the ones that risked their dollars and sweat equity to get the thing made in the first place.

best way to handle is look at the packaging. the copyright owner must be listed. let me know if tracking down contact info is needed and i would be happy to help.

once contacted, they can either point out the proper way to purchase the video or if they are small time may even permit copying. the collection of royalties is the sticky part. they would have nothing but trust to rely on and that is why you don't see this happening much.

one bootlegging approach i have seen is the bottlegger makes, distributes and sells copies. they hold royalties in escrow for the artist to claim and even notate that info on the packaging. honest bootlegging...who'd da figured.

the other side of this is don't say a word, but don't charge anything but cost. still illegal, but at least it shows you are not tying to make a profit.

i have little morals though so either way count me in.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design