View Single Post
Old January 31st 2011, 05:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgie View Post
looking good. be intresting to see the dyno results on this set up compered to the old one.

Are you going for more boost or was the swap to the bigger turbo to control the boost better?
Neither actually: this huge turbo was intended for fitting together with an engine upgrade to more cc's. Then a big turbo like this would make more sense. The bigger cc u[pgrade didn't happen however, hence I thought trying it on the current engine I have so much data already from.

The other idea was to decrease exhaust gas back pressure by using an even bigger (compared to the already bigger compressor) turbine wheel.
So, the turbine wheel now is double big so to speak... hence the to be expected huge lag. I think partly due to the twin-scroll set-up, lag is not as terrible as it would have been otherwise.

OTOH, less back pressure will make higher boost settings possible. For example: 20 psi gave me 30psi back pressure(!). You can fill out what this means if you have a (assuming) 1:1 ratio...
Question is will the engine internals withstand the mechanical forces (++torque) of more boost or even same boost but with more power because of the better VE I think I have now?

I tried tuning it on the road, but frankfully, its too tricky on a public road at the boost settings above 15 psi. Tuning is not complete therefore, but close enough
-only one way to find out: drag it to the dyno