View Single Post
Old December 4th 2013, 19:20

i thought it would be time for a little update since im over due for about 5 months. first things first, i FINALLY got this monster running. id say my tune that im running on right now is about 60% of where it needs to be, but i need more time to learn the ignition side of things before i go any further.

driving the car has just been great. it stops really well with the 4pot calipers i did from a volvo. its got TONS of TQ and power. right now boost is set at only 8lbs psi and it really moves. with a better tune i wanna try 10 lbs of boost, but i honestly am good with 8lbs for a while. with that said, i knew the tranny was the weak link considering its a bone stock tranny. so i knew that i needed to drive it with some common since. but, its apparent that even that wasnt enough. about 2 weeks of me driving it, with no burnouts, no hard shifting, but a lot of good power pulls, 2nd gear is making a whine like its a dog box out of a rally car, and ive spun 3rd and 4th gears on the main shaft. but im not worried. ive called R/C trans outta Vegas and they can build me a tranny for a really good price. so come tax season i plan on getting a new trans.

the rear coilovers i bought ended up being too long when the shock is fully compressed. its my mistake. but ive found some that will work and im hoping to get then changed out soon so i can get the rear of the car where i want it to sit.

also i had major issues with my sunroof and ended up really messing up the sunroof cables, mainly the plastic pieces of the backs of the cables broke off. so i remember hearing that the mk1 vw rabbits have the same sunroof cables, so i found one in a junk yard and i grabbed the whole assembly, and i can attest that they DO in fact are the very same and work awesome. my sunroof now works like a charm.

future upgrades for over the winter are to get the interior put in, install a heater of some sort, looking to get a new set of wheels, trans upgrade, shorter rear shocks, front airdam, bigger master cylinder for the brakes, rear disk brakes, bigger front sway-bar, rear sway-bar, get a really good solid tune on the motor , lastly, drive the crap outta it, and lots of track days/ canyon/ mountain drives.

well as always we all wanna see the pics.

heres some photo shoots that ive had friends take of the car while i was driving around in grand junction. i trailerd the car up to junction and i drove it around town for a few weeks. im planning on relocating up to junction in a few months. so theirs a pic of my cool jeep comanche pulling my bug. the jeep in it self is also another whole project soon to start as well. lol.

while in junction i stopped by KCW (Kustom Coach Werks) my old job back in the day. im sure most of you know who they are. but i stopped by to say hi to long time friend Franz, and he wanted a ride in it, so i gave him one. he was smiling ear to ear when he got out. John Jones (owner/ friend) as well came out from the shop and took a look at it and was quite impressed, and commented on how my use of other parts from other cars to make a cool car and keep it all looking like it all belonged their. so that was great to hear. its a good pic to show cause sitting in front of my car is a stock super beetle vert. you can really see the difference from my car vs a stock super beetle. the dulley is a recent purchase of John's. it lays body on 21 1/2" semi wheels. its quite rad to see it lay out on the bags.

Last edited by cookvw; December 4th 2013 at 19:27.