View Single Post
Old August 20th 2004, 22:55

External oil cooler fittings

It took me a few trips to get the fittings right for the Setrab install. Here's what finally worked for me:

Oil pump outlet -- changed from Jakes 90 to a 3/8 NPT street 45 with a straight -8 Swivel Seal Earls AN hose end fitting. The 45 helps clear the return line so you can tighten the pump outlet line. Used Permatex 80631 "thread sealant w/ teflon" on all NPT thread per Jakes recommendation -- good seal, but not permanent like loctite 418.

Oil filter adapter -- the "left/left" adapter, fly cut seal surface to get a flat/square seal surface (see AC.net). Mounted in fender well at same height or higher than cooler for good drainage during oil change.

Oil filter inlet -- 90 3/8 NPT to straight hose end fitting. Spin the 90 onto the filter adapter first then do the filter outlet port.

Oil filter outlet -- straight 3/8 NPT to male AN with a 90 hose end

Oil cooler inlet/outlet -- straight 3/8 NPT to male AN with a 45 hose end. Originally, I went with straight hose ends to/from the cooler but did not like the strain that bending the tube put on the fittings, so I went with the 45's.

Case return -- straight 3/8 NPT to male AN with a straight hose end fitting.

Hose -- Auto-Flex, 10' -- had about 30" extra. Protected the hose with 7/8 ID fire braid over the header.

Hope it goes well for you Zen. It'll be ALOT easier with the engine out. Easy access results in better quality.