View Single Post
Old August 27th 2004, 10:53

I was re-reading your original post and I am now of the belief this thread may be taking you down the wrong path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 721302
i was wondering if anyone knows what all you have to go through to get a right hand drive car shipped over to the states from europe. I am wanting a right hand drive 1302 super for my next gl project and have no clue how to go about getting one. or would it be easier to get all the RHD parts and convert a LHD to RHD?
I know converting is possible. I even saw a RHD Kübel on the British eBay once. That must've taken a lot of tinkering and one-off parts. I looked into the reverse conversion -- RHD-to-LHD -- and decided it was too daunting for me.

I started picking up an issue of VolksWorld every month when I was looking for a car to buy. They have a nice classified section. Each issue has has some interesting cars for sale. There are always a couple of nice 1302s and/or 1303s for sale.

Since Supers were always imported to the states -- unlike Type 181s (1973-74 only) or the '78 Last Edition standard Beetle (never) for example -- there shouldn't be a problem with registration. Heck, since you specifically want a 1302, it should be even easier. That's because (a) the VINs of Supers and standards are muddled together so a RHD version shouldn't trigger anything, and (b) all 1302s are over 30 model years old.

It would be best to check with your state's DMV on details. There may be an issue of whether it will need any kind of inspection. (Maryland doesn't require one if your car is designated as "historic.") I doubt any state has an inspection on a 30-plus year old car on emissions or type of engine. I mention the latter because 1302s in the states came with the 1600cc automatically. That was an option over the 1300cc elsewhere. Also, you would probably ditch low-back bucket seats if your car had them anyway,

The cost of shipping a car from the UK is roughly $1000. That's little different than a coast-to-coast transport here. Now, a thousand bucks is a thousand bucks and, therefore, nothing to snibble at. But how much is a conversion going to cost? Unless there is a lot of difference (or you're the enterprising type), I can't but help think the difference would be worth spending as a properly assembled RHD car has to be superior to a LHD-to-RHD conversion.

Another option is to check out Japan's 1302s for sale, although shipping from there may be more prohibitive.

I think it's worth looking into this option as well especially since you are going to need the bulk of your convesion parts shipped anyway.