View Single Post
Old January 28th 2013, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdlvr View Post
You may want to consider an Accusump with the oil tank mounted so far forward. Mine is mounted low enough that oil-pressure takes 2-3 full seconds to build after the engine has started. With the Accusump, I can pressurize the system before starting and there is no oil light.
-Dave
I have to say I'm not fully sold on the idea of an Accusump. I completely understand their benefits when it comes to sudden oil loss on a wet-sump system such as under heavy cornering or braking for example when the oil surges away from the pickup pipe, however this shouldn't be an issue with a dry sump. This then leaves it solely as a pre-lube system for startup, and while this gives clear benefits, the added complexity of the valves and joints makes me wonder if it is worth it - all those joints and valves are restrictions and potential leak points. On my WBX I have the oil cooler right at the front and used to have issues with leaks at joints at various points in the hoses - nothing major, just wetness, but enough to annoy. In the end I made 2 hoses that go all the way from engine to cooler and solved all those problems. Of course this is the first time I have used a dry-sump system so don't know how long the pressure will take to build up - if it is too long then I can always retrofit one.

Am getting excited now at the prospect of the shell finally being in paint. In all my 27 years of Bug ownership I have never paid anyone to work on my car - on the GT the only time anyone else touched it was when I needed a lift with the shell. I did everything from paint to engine mapping and interior trim and wiring. Now though I have less time due to two small daughters, which is why I decided to outsource the shell prep - you would be right in assuming that I am a nervous and demanding customer, and all credit to Sam at VWorks for his patience with me and my text messages at odd hours pointing out another miniscule bracket I've seen that offends me and needs removing, or another hole that needs welding or a rivnut fitting before paint. He has great patience!

So, before I sign off for tonight, i had a rummage in the garage to see what brake options i could find...

Now I just have to work out how to fit them inside a set of these...

Regs state a maximum of a 6x15" wheel, so will be fun getting big calipers & discs inside them
'02 Passat Sport Diseasel Estate ("Das Boot")
'05 Seat Leon FR, chipped (Mrs Moog's toy really...)