View Single Post
Old December 6th 2011, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdlvr View Post
...pretty much the exact reason I posted before ordering springs. Based on this thread it "makes sense" but in my head it just seems so way completely off :P

"paging Clive to the red courtesy phone...Clive to the red courtesy phone."

:-)

-Dave
Sorry for the delay folks - been busy.

Adding my sixpennyworth. I have Spax PSX progressives on the front of the '03 that I estimate are 100 - 130lb/in over the travel distance. On the back I have 23.5 P944 rear torsion bars that give around 10% extra stiffness over stock. Having run the motor for around 6 months now and 6,000mls on our country roads around here the spring rates are hard for normal road use but when pushed feel about right - I would hate to up the rates much more especially at the back. Looking back at the figures these rates concur with fast road car spec, which fortunately is where I expected to be.
The roads around here are very bumpy and I do have an issue with the exhaust bottoming out so I am pondering whether to increase the rear ride height. The wheels do follow the bumps really well especially the faster you go, which is very helpful as it only has a cooking 1600tp so is driven with a brick on the throttle.
The front end sticks uncannily well and when I push very hard the back begins to hop that I suspect is either a anti-roll bar or bump stop issue but that is the only time it unsticks. I initially dropped the roll centre of the front and you can certainly feel the initial bite on turn in but I want to soften the action so I will try the original roll centre over the hols.
All together I have I think produced a road rally car that is a softer suspended setting than tarmac rally and almost a gravel spec with a lowered stance. My interim conclusion is that its got the right spring/damper rates but some of the settings need playing with.

It would be wrong to criticise any other set up that is very different as it is all about getting what works for you in the arena you play in.

Clive