Thread: 911 Fan Shroud
View Single Post
Old April 14th 2003, 19:04

Disclaimer: This is not intended to p*** anybody off but I thought the additional info should be posted:

Hi Jake,

when ever the 911 shroud is mentioned I feel that I am a total idiot for using one because of looks.

First of all:

All the years before the entire North American VW scene said that they overcool the engine. Now it is being said that they do not cool as good as stock. I am not doubting your findings at all but it is kind of strange that they do the opposite of what was said before.

Also this findings could have several reasons:

Shroud design and/ or the fan blade that was used.

To my knowledge there are several manufacturers of 911 cooling kits: MSS (CSP/WEISER etc), PTP, Remmele, Klaus, WILKE, WILLIBALD, CIP, Bergmann, Sharbuilt, FAT
I am sure I forgot quite a few. Also there are 3 different Porsche fans that can be used:5 blade, 11 blade and the 12 blade C2 fan

The 11 blade fan came in 2 sizes.....911 Turbo used a smaller one.
There are copies of fans that are made by the manufactures of the 911 kits....at least some of them do it.

Golf alternators or Porsche ones are used too.

The kits also come in 4 different fan ring sizes. If you shuffle this with the different shroud designs I can not believe that they are all junk. I know your opinion and you know mine. Your finding was quite interesting but it would be more interesting if a FAT, Sharpbuilt and other kits were used as well in that testing. I know that the one you tested was put on one of your engines before and you were not impressed which btw I could totally understand why.

The point I am trying to make now is will everybody say now that the shrouds do NOT cool as good as stock?

The C2 fan produces the smallest amout of air followed by the 11 blade and the best is the 5 blade. If you turn down the C2 fan to the small size to fit all the small 240 911 kits you lose 40% of effectiveness (Tested by Rolf Klaus) which is not true if you use the small version of the 11 blade fan that Porsche used in the 911 Turbo.

Alex

An interesting point too is that you can get a 911 kit complete with 911 alternator/ring and fan for 600$ FAT ( 3??$ for shourd kit and the rest for used Porsche parts and no machining of the case) if you are lucky so they are not that expensive too.