View Single Post
Old May 22nd 2003, 10:51

1975 1303 on eBay - help

Hi,

I haven't looked at a car in a few weeks because I have stubbornly decided on a 1975 1303 as a base for my German Look project because of rack and pinion steering. I have passed on looking at other 1302 and 1303 options -- perhaps to my detriment.

Anyway, there is a '75 on eBay and it is an hour or so away from where I live. This should make an in-person inspection easy to accomplish. Since it is over a holiday weekend, it may be difficult for me to arrange a time to go when my mechanic can also go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6019

Here is the contained description:
This beetle has been awesome for me and I am sad to see it go! She is a 75 super beetle. I drove this car everyday for the 7 months I owned it. I recently got pregnant and she has to go! She was due for inspection at the end of april. I didn't get it done because she will not pass till the floor pans are done. I have bumpers, floorpans and a roof rack. All the break lines and the battery have been recently replaced. she purs like a kitten and has NEVER left me sit. The sunroof does not leak, and the dash is original. the interior seats and door panels are in pretty good shape. she has standard beetle rust (floor pans, and where the bodies and fenders meet) but with time and love she could be GREAT!! I dreamed of fixing her up but well there just isn't going to be time or money with a baby on the way!

I was kind of hoping for a rust-free example. I will look for rust in the problem areas as described by Keith Seume in his Custom VWs book.

How concerned should I be with replacing floor pans? How costly (US$) is this to have a shop do it?

I don't care about the fenders (or the fact the bloody thing is purple) since I have plans for that already, but I am concerned about "where the bodies and fenders meet" since new fenders have to be attached to something.

What should I look for as this being a problem as far as cost and as far as being insurmountable?

I am very anxious but I do not want to make a bad decision.

Thank you in advance,
René