View Single Post
Old February 23rd 2004, 19:22

I'm not sure what you mean by "dicey", But since you mentioned the gas I'll assume the front end breaks loose before the rear. Sway bars can help balance the tendency to start slipping. If I remember how it works, if the front looses grip on turns you need to DECREASE the diameter of the sway bar in the front, or, INCREASE the diameter of the rear sway bar. Increasing the rear causes more weight transfer to the front. If the front gets too stiff (no sway) one wheel can lift.

Don't even mess with sway bars though until you know your suspension is set up correctly. As front wheels lift it changes the camber to the positive, which can cause slippage. Make sure the camber is not too positive to begin with. Positive camber is good though for straight line steadiness. It is a complex subject, and sifferent cars have differing set ups as to what is best. In case some of my info is inaccurate, I suggest you go down to the book store and buy a copy of "How to Make Your Car Handle", by Fred Puhn, ISBN 0-912656-46-8. I got mine at Borders.

Ron