View Single Post
Old November 26th 2003, 17:25

For books, there was a previous thread on here ("Chassis Engineering", I think) with some suggestions. There are design programs that work well, although I worked all the geometry out graphically. That's the easy part. The hard part is deciding to make it "bolt-on" and working around the existing VW pan and body layout, using commonly available parts without modifying them, while not compromising your "optimum" geometry too much. Start with your 'givens' like wheel size, track width, required steering angle, ride height, type of steerin gear you want to use, etc., etc.. and work backward from there. Go to a wrecking yard and look at how all the different OEM's build suspensions, and also look for any parts you might be able to use. Study some of the A-arm IFS kits made for street rodders to see how they worked it out (I'd like to someday see VW customizers have the same type of kits available to them). This is just a start, but it gives you an idea. I guess the EASIEST way is to just copy someone else ;-) Good luck and pls keep posted on your progress.

Jay