View Single Post
Old July 8th 2010, 07:37

I think it is really down to what you intend to use the car for?

As a road car - recliners with tilt/slide forward mechanism is the best. Usually, the only ones that have a robust mechanism that latches properly are OEM ones for some other car. The trim is much harder wearing so if you find a modern set it ought to be in good condition. I have used the front and rear seats out of my Alfa GTV6 (116), which fit well if a little cosy in places. I know the bolstering is good and comfortable having run the Alfa as a daily for 2 years (40,000mls). The drivers seat features a squab height adjustment that incorporates a massive spring loaded mechanism. This will be useful as the missus will be driving it and it will give her one less thing to complain about. the whole setup will be OK for use occasionally as a comp car.

As a competition car the fixed bucket seats are the way to go although they need setting up correctly because you can't adjust them easily. The fabric generally is cheap even on the expensive ones. The leather options are no better when compared to OEM seats. The side bolsters take a pounding when used as a daily and soon wear through. I have never found them that comfortable and numb bum usually occurs after a couple of hours unless you take frequent stops to get the circulation going. I intend to fit some Corbeau or Recaro competition seats in the Alfa as it will be used primarily for sport and fun.

In a nutshell I would decide what the car is primarily going to be used for - Road car = recliner; Competition = fixed shell seat. there can be no 50/50 decision on this for me. (Unless of course you have a fixed seat for the driver and a recliner for the front passenger as was common on a lot of road rally cars that had to retain most of the interior for daily use)