Thread: 901 trans. code
View Single Post
Old November 17th 2005, 20:45

[QUOTE=EvilOval]Here are some of the questions/answers I asked Martin about his kit. I will be purchasing the kit tomorrow and will be taking pics of the install. Text that is in Italics is the reply:

(SNIP)

-I'm assuming that since this is an early 901 the rear transverse that you sell wouldn't work. Would I be able to just drill some hole thru the case and mount it using beetle tranny mounts....or do you have a better suggestion?
Have got aluminium casted blocks, that have the surface of the 901/915-gearbox. They can be bolted to the 901-housing and the VW-rubber blocks can be bolted against them. Disadvantage is, that the gearbox will be about 1 cm higher in your car. Donīt use the rubber blocks from the Beetle, take those from a Bus T2 - they are harder.

Evil - saw this quote and it peaked my interest. I've noted the mis-match between Porsche 901 bellhousing surface and VW tranny mounts. I was first thinking of modifying my new Berg HD mounts - but some pre-formed aluminum pieces that provide a nice surface for the VW mounts to sit sounds like a much better idea! Any way to get pics of this? I'm already eyeing the Suby conversion oil pan, might be adding some more bits to my wish list!

One area I'm having trouble - that is accurately drilling into my Porsche bellhousing for the mounts. Any other options besides buying the SAW type mounts to use for a drill template? Those hole locations need to be pretty accurate.
Jeff