View Single Post
Old June 21st 2005, 10:19
Administrator

Another step forward

I had some spare time last night so I thought I would try Wally's horizontal tin mod on 3-4 bank only to see what a difference it would make.

I made a piece of tin 7" long by 4.5" wide and cut it in such a way that one 4.5" side runs parallel with C/L of #4 cylinder and the other 4.5" side runs parallel with #3. The attachment point to the case is the 2 - 6mm holes for factory tinware on top of the case under the shroud.

I then made a U shaped hole in the center of the tin to allow some air to get between #3 and #4, but the majority of the air would go over the cylinders and to the head.

Well ... this decreased the temps of #3 and #4 by about 15F :agree: So now the differance between 1-2 and 3-4 is 1-2 runs about 20F cooler on average than 3-4. I guess the cylinders DO catch the majority of the air flowing across them ... thanks Wally ! :agree:

I am not sure how this will affect oil temps (seemed fine on my testing run) or if this will create hot spots on 3-4 cylinders due to the decreased air to the cylinders.

I have about 40 logs now of different senarios ... 5MB each ... big files.

I think I may be at the end of these mods as the temps seem quite acceptable for the street. Next step is to go to the track ... no track days coming up till September though the spaces are all filled.

Sandeep