View Single Post
Old August 22nd 2002, 00:13

Brand New Guy

One of my daily drivers is a ‘67 Beetle. In addition to this I have ‘72 SB, which I have owned since 1988. In July I decided to do a body off “restoration” of the SB.

I had recently came across a couple of Keith Seume’s books. His “VW Beetle: The New Custom Handbook” has a section on the German Look. I have long been a Porsche and VW enthusiast and was naturally drawn to this “look” as portrayed by Seume. In addition to aesthetic considerations, the power and handling of a GL Beetle very much appeals to me. It seems to me that a full blown GL has all the high performance handling and motivation that I’d like to have. (I often drive the local “Sea-to-Sky Highway”. This is a trip that the local chapter of the Porsche Club of America indicates as being one of the “Top Ten” drives in North America.)

The August 2002 issue of “VW Trends” featured Sascha Martini’s ‘68. Beautiful — carbon fibre, T4 2886cc, etc. As well, in their “12 Most Popular VW Styles” article there is a brief reference to the German Look and the Euro Look. This confirmed the direction that I wished to go.

For me the GL is both function and form. I want high performance handling —not just a lowered front with a nice rake that handles less than the original factory set-up.

It was only just last week that I discovered the German Look website. It looks like it shall prove to be a terrific resource. seeing the pics here and reading some of the posts also served to confirm my initial inspiration. Already I have received some “super” advice from people who subscribe to this forum. (Thanks, Superman.) I am always pleasantly surprised by the enthusiastic, if not helpful advice/encouragement that seems to me to be a hallmark of the aircooled VW community. I look forward to being an active participant in the forum.

Cheers,

Jeannot
‘67 and ‘72SB

P.S. If anyone would like to offer comments, suggestions or advice on my plans I’d be happy to send you an outline of my intentions. (I’m at the point of having the chassis sandblasted this week or early next. From there I shall rebuild the front and rear suspension add the brakes and, if the budget permits, install a Porsche gearbox.) Any advice is most welcomed!