View Single Post
Old October 18th 2011, 12:16

Would this excessive downforce from ducting the front end and the inverted scoop create more drag? That's one thing I can't afford to add a lot on my car, I don't have a lot of hp. I think I understand the theory of it though, the air passing up through the middle or bottom of the front end passes up and over the hood essentially grabbing the front end pushing it down more. Pretty common now on cars with radiators or external oil coolers:

Another thought about running boards, because the bottom side of VW running boards is curved (like the inside of a fender), doesn't this create a vortex in this space for the air to swirl around in and create more lift of the whole car? Meaning, you want as much of the bottomside of the car as flat as possible like the pan, correct? After looking at this highly modified autocross Elise, it looks this gradual taper along the side they have with the fender edges smoothed to the doors work pretty well if applied to a bug:

Those flaps along the back of the front fenders have got me curious as well. A picture of my car attached. Thinking maybe I could do something similar to this Elise, smooth out the area where the running boards would normally attach to the car (circled in purple) so it's flush with the door lines and some small strips of material to smooth out the transition between the fender corners and the pan (circled in red).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00423-20111015-2025.jpg (71.0 KB, 33 views)