View Single Post
Old May 30th 2003, 09:38

Hmmm ... maybe in Europe but I would doubt that would be the case here in the States. Rarity is only on the supply side of the Econ 101 cartoon. Demand plays an equal part.

VW 411s and 412s rarely command much of a price, and they are extremely rare. (I was interested in getting one before (a) buying my wife a 2002 Golf TDI and (b) discovering German Look VWs.) Nobody wants them if they need to be restored because restoring them is such a major undertaking. There was one on eBay two weeks after we got the Golf that was in superior condition. I made a bid as far as my disposable income would take me at that time after I drove three hours to drive and inspect it. If I could, I would have placed a bid of more than the US$3000 it took to win the auction.

Super Beetles here are far less costly than comparable standards. I realize it is "apples and oranges" comparing 1302s/1303s with 411s/412s but I don't foresee the US market changing its desires.

Then again, I could be wrong.

1957 Fords outsold '57 Chevrolets 3:1. Until sometime in the 1970s, their resale was quite comparable with each other. The Chevy somehow became symbolic of the '50s and its price continues to balloon at an enormous rate compared to the Ford (even the one with the retractable roof). They didn't suddenly become rarer; they became more desired.

I agree with you that the '75 1303 is an underestimated car. I think all Supers are.