View Single Post
Old November 9th 2011, 05:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
If you set the suspension travel to standard then a 17" tyre wheel combo will lower the front by 5-35mm depending on individual tyres that has to be beneficial whilst still maintaining the geometry.
Very much agree with your whole post Clive! You just said it so much better
I will change the 7,5x18 with 225/40 fronts for 7,0x17 with 205/40. That alone gives a 20mm drop in ride height wih equal suspension geometry.

Mark, I do agree I shouldn't change multiple things at the same time so the proper effect of each can be judged better, however...there are only so many hours in the day and so much time I can spend on wrenching and driving in a season (unfortunately).
I don't agree with your saying that 18 or 19" is better for circuit driving with one car as an example. Remmele may have changed more things at the same time also...or just learnt the track better. You may be referencing to the gyroscopic effect a larger and heavier wheel has? That is indeed beneficial for straight line stability ONLY, but works counter w hen you want to change direction, i.e. turning in for a corner. With competition use I was referencing to me taking part in the TimeAttack series in the Netherlands. I even won my class last year (on points, but still) if you didn't caught up with that yet :-) http://www.timeattack.nl/nl/news/ite...iciteerd_.html .
You are absolutely right that I don't push it extremely hard in corners at the track and that is part of my poor driving abailities to push it on the edge of slip but part of me doesn't want to explore that fine line too closely. That doesn;t help my track times on circuits, but I am having fun nonetheless, I assure you!
Jasons' experience is what I was expecting and speaks volumes for what a heavier wheel does imo. Thank you for sharing that Jason!

In my opinion, wheel size just needs to be as small as to just fit your brakes and width adjustable to power you run. My front 350mm disks limit that to 17"which suits me fine tbh.

The wheel I chose are about 1,7 kg lighter for the fronts and 1,2 kg lighter for the rears. I expect about 1 kg per tire savings as well, so this should give a pretty big gain i reducing unsprung weight. The bummer is, I bought them with winter tires and have to get new summer/semi's now for them as well, so that will probably have to wait a while for budget to recover.

I'll try to make a pic coming weekend with the new wheels on the car

Last edited by Wally; November 9th 2011 at 05:54.