View Single Post
Old November 20th 2007, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatoniashoprat View Post
-The subaru engine DOESN'T support the gearbox and axles on a subaru car, the transmission has its own mount as well.

-I don't see how it would be surprising if you had a subaru engine in an offroad/baja beetle and just had the engine hanging off the frame horns that the frame horns coud bend/crack. Engine blocks have apparently also broken. If you're jumping a car or hitting serious terrain at speeds there is plenty of force there.

If the frame horns are sufficiently supported (tied into shock mounts, 3-bar kafer style brace at minimum, to at least handle the increased torque) and you use 10-12MM grade 8 bolts to bolt the engine on, I believe this is sufficient. That's my 2 cents... well maybe 3.

Mike
YES! the engine supports the trans in a subaru. look at the construction.
Two mounts under the engine and one mount in the rear end of the transaxle.
That means that the engine supports the heavy front end of the trans. and also takes up torque load from the transaxle.
If you stil dont belive me, try to remove the engine in a subaru and see what happens to the trans.... it falls down in the front end and hangs from the axles. Thats why the subaru manual says: Support transaxle before removing engine.