View Single Post
Old April 21st 2008, 01:26
pharmacytov

upright?

is upright fan the only way to go? I mean, is the porsche fan not a do-it-yourself conversion? I've heard it called a "dog-house" cooling system, i'm assuming that's the same as upright.

I'm looking at buying a 2.0 type 4 engine but this guy won't even sell it to me because i told him its for a super beetle, not a vanagon. He says it's probably not worth it cuz i'd have to get a "retro-fit kit" and other stuff. I discovered that its a fuel injected engine (EFI is not a brand name, it stands for electronic fuel injection), so a retro fit kit must be what it takes to convert back to carbs. He says its not worth it... is that true? If i want to convert an 83 vanagon (fuel injected 2.0) engine to a dual carb set-up, is that messy stuff?

I've searched all over and i haven't been able to find the definition of a "suitcase" style engine. That's what he called it.

But yeah, i'm making him offers, and one of these days i'm going to pick it up, so any info on the complete transformation from 1600cc to 2000cc would be great. I know there are a lot of users on this site that have done that. Anything to watch out for?

Last edited by my.name.is.timo; April 21st 2008 at 01:36.