View Single Post
Old April 26th 2010, 15:11

Subaru or suspension?

It's calling me and keeping me awake at night. I'm getting the subaru bug again but stronger than ever now thanks to a friend. I went for a spin in a ej20t powered 914 and now I want one so bad. Just like others the boost has been turned down to about 7-8psi and he's running 201hp at the wheels. I know how this individual drives, his right foot is made of a very dense matter that is difficult to lift, and the worst mileage he's had so far is 30mpg. Even though I just built a big motor and it's very very strong, it's only getting 15 or so mpg since I have the same right foot illness I already have everything needed for the swap except the motor, harness and ecu. Thanks to some side jobs I have some much needed cash in the bank but never before has it burned in my pocket so badly.

The other side of the coin is I have enough money to build the perfect suspension. Matched with the big motor and freeway flier, my baby porsche would be complete. The current setup is okay-ish but really needs a refresh since the race car got all the good stuff.

The kicker in this dilemma is that the bug is my daily driver and gets over 100 miles a day. The subaru swap would pay for itself in a few months, or right away if I sold the big motor, but would still ride a bit soft especially with the subie lump in the back. So what would you go for, power and mileage, or perfect handling with full adjustability?