Thread: Seat height?
View Single Post
Old May 4th 2011, 05:06

Hi Alex,
I fitted a pair of Alfa Romeo GTV 116 seats in our 1303. A couple of pointers that occurred on my seat mounting:

1) I used the original front seat hump to fix an inverted 'C' channel across the car that the runners fixed to so essentialy the mounting height of the front of the runner was the original hump height
2) The rear support was a hoop fixing to the original seat runners an bolted through to provide maximum hold down strength for the rear of the seat. (I have seen the results of inadequate rear seat mounts on aftermarket seats in a crash where the victim would have been safe had the seat not ripped out - the injuries were trully sickening). The rear seat support for the Alfa seats is 25mm lower than the front. By using a hoop the footwell has maximum clearance for the rear passengers.
3) The seat must point towards the pedals, not straight ahead. I initially made the mistake of pointing the seats straight ahead and it was uncomfortable as the pelvis has to twist in the seat to operate the pedals. With the seats pointing towards the pedals (and the steering wheel) the torso is in a comfortable position and it is only the head that has to swivel slightly, as it is designed to do. Your seat base doesn't seem to accommodate this.
I am 1.83m (6ft) tall and with this seat arrangement and a 944 steering wheel on the standard column all is as ergonomicaly acceptable as I can make a 1303.
Hope this helps.
Clive
PS if you want some photos, PM me with your e-mail address and I will return them (please note the photos are a maximum of 3MB each)