View Single Post
Old July 18th 2008, 12:19

The joys of suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGL View Post
wait so with 994 turbo trailing arms the coil overs listed above would work on a type 1? and if so does that apply to all 944 turbo coil overs ...im the usa guys so im trying to find the best comparison..the gaz coilover site completely confused me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Many german tuners have bolt-on rear coil overs as well (GWD, Remmele, both also fit alu arms iirc; alu arms have 14mm metric screw for the shocks, so be aware ).
Well there are 2 things that don't work:
- As Wally mentioned the alu trailing arms use a 14mm bolt the alu trailing arms instead of the 12mm bolt the steel arms use.
Every decent shock producing company should be able to insert a 14mm eye (be it a rubber bushing or spherical bearing) into the shock, so that shouldn't be a problem
- Most 944 and 1303 coil-over won't work, because the upper mounting point for the shock is further inwards compared to the 944.
This makes for a collision between the spring and the trailing arm (which doesn't happen when using steel trailing arms).
Solutions to this are:
- Space the damper away from the trailing arm and upper mount (Bilstein cup dampers have eccentric mounting points, or you could use something like the racer's edge bolt (which also solves the bolt difference)
- Find a damper and spring combination that is skinny enoug to fit (This might be a pain in the behind)
I tested it with 60mm ID springs which was 200mm long and it wasn't even close. So I'd say there's room for a 140mm/120mm long spring max.
See here for example: http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...0677#post60677

Last edited by Simon; July 19th 2008 at 05:38.