View Single Post
Old January 4th 2012, 03:29

Of course this would come up. Thank goodness they are all just opinions.

A good read from actual builders of many Subaru engines pointing out facts and myths about their historical limitations and strong points.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...h/viewall.html

They all agree that the basic Subaru EJ255/EJ257 block can easily handle 550hp before needing sleeves and several point out that nothing needs to be done up to 400hp on stock rotating internals, I would call that a pretty decent power limit right off the bat. Even brand new factory Subaru blocks and internals are not that expensive for that kind of power, jump down to quality used and it gets less exspensive. To get into the next stage is a few $$$ hundred more in rods, bearings and pistons.

I guess the sad part of cutting up my car began in the 80's when I wanted a ragtop for my '56. I cut up another VW to get the sunroof. Sadly I have also cut up my car to make way for the Mendeola suspension going in it. I have seen Subaru conversions that have been classy, clean and hardly noticeable and that is the model I am going to follow. EJ hybrids can be fitted into early engine bays without cutting. No matter what one person does to a VW someone is going to have an opinion about it. What makes others sad because they take a saw and welder to their car, motivates others to be creative and I accept it. After all it's their car. My car could have been a Baja if I sold it long ago...but as long as it had an air cooled engine it would be okay with some.

Some engine designs outlast others because they are designed so well. The EJ series is still in major production and generating over 300hp reliably the same isn't true for...well you know. Their VE may not be the greatest but brand new stock SOHC RS type heads from the factory flow over 255 at .500" (Intake) so there is room for improvement (I think the T4 2.0's were less than 180 at the same lift so their VE must be incredible ) All kidding aside, at a cost of $500 each, money saved can be put towards a port job and valve grind if desired with the Suby heads. I am sure someone has charts for stock head flow along with the price tag of new TIV heads. I'm not bashing the TIV by any means, just pointing out that the heads already flow quite well at a very affordable price. If Mr Raby is seriously looking into Subaru's maybe they aren't all that bad eh?

Mad respect for what you do and have done with the TIV Wally. I mean that. I just have a differing opinion on what the Suby can do and for how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadewombat View Post
For comparison:

EJ22 Subaru motor
2212cc SOHC
Horsepower: 142 bhp @ 5600 rpm
Torque: 149 lb·ft @ 3600 rpm

EJ25
2457cc
DOHC (1996) - SAE - 155 hp @ 5600 rpm
140 ft·lbf at 2800 rpm
DOHC (1997–1999) - SAE - 165 hp @ 5600 rpm
162 ft·lbf at 4000 rpm

This is nothing against Subarus, I've heard nothing but good things about how solid the engines are (OHC a big advantage vs. the T1, T4). Don't the STIs and Evos take a higher amount of maintenance though because it's such a highly tuned 4 cylinder? I remember coming across something about this as well. The last couple of years, the new models would gain only a few hp over the old one.
The newer WRX/STi's have been warrantied for 5 years / 60,000 miles and make considerably more power today than the 12 year old examples given. Complete MY96-99 listed can be easily had with a 5 speed transmissions for less than $1,500. As the price of reverse cut Ring and Pinions becomes more affordable others will be taking to the dark side.

'03 and later WRX EJ20's with improved 5 speed gearboxes and 220hp can be had for around $2500 as well. There will be no let up on the flood of quality JDM power trains because of their regulations. Anyone who has been through a Japanese Vehicle Inspection known as a "Shaken" understands this. The 5 speed I picked up for $260 was immaculate, a local wrecker wanted the same price for a 901 trans that had been sitting for years. Ebay prices for 901's aren't inexpensive, forget about 915's or G-50's in decent shape. What's a rebuild of one of those going to cost? I believe there is an will be a cost difference because of the economies of scale and ease of availability.

To each their own, I am just happy to see so many old VW's being worked on and cruising down the road regardless of what gets them going.

Last edited by 56SemaRag; January 4th 2012 at 04:04.