View Single Post
Old January 4th 2012, 05:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56SemaRag View Post
They all agree that the basic Subaru EJ255/EJ257 block can easily handle 550hp before needing sleeves and several point out that nothing needs to be done up to 400hp on stock rotating internals, I would call that a pretty decent power limit right off the bat.
You have really missed my point: If YOU can get 550hp from a stock subaru engine, YOU can also get 450hp from a T4 bottom end! (BTW those are american dyno's you read about, which use the 'socal correction factor'

But most can't get to those numbers with suby engines anywhere close. They all need 'tooners' to do that for them. When you get there, it has become wayyy $$$$$.

Power is never cheap, you cannot cheap out of it by using another platform. Get to learn how to tune yourself is my overwhelming point.

I really don't care what engine base you use, I really don't. All I am saying is that everyone thinks they get cheap power. It never really is and if it isn't, why not use the spirit these cars are based upon and derive most of their uniqueness from: an extremely simple thirties engine design that can surprise most anybody.
With a suby in the back, nobody will be surprised you have a powerfull engine. "Oh, its a Suby huh?". Yeah, sorry, it is buddy...
Or: No, it is still an aircooled VW engine! "WTF! Huh?"
It used to be "Oh, it has a Porsche engine right?" Those were also heavy and didn't make decent power in stock form and we laughed at those remarks all the time.
I love understatement, its a great part of what makes it a German style car.

Unless you start building your own engine (cams, pistons, management, etc), it will never be fast. Maybe has a powerfull engine, but not fast.
I break it down for you even more clearly: A modified car will always be faster then a stock block engine from whatever car you transplant it from!

Oh, and as this is concerned:
Quote:
If Mr Raby is seriously looking into Subaru's maybe they aren't all that bad eh?
Maybe you hadn't noticed, but he runs a shop.
The preconception that suby's are a cheap engine, is what this is based upon. He follows the market(s conception for what is wanted) and is very good at that.
Once he makes a decent powerfull subaru engine, it has sleeves, pistons, cams etc etc and I am back at my original point of that only a build engine is powerfull and if done by a shop WILL cost $$$. About as much as doing a type 4 like that...
Circle completed.

Start building your own people, save there by doing it yourself and have fun doing so.
And if you do, you might as well start by doing that to an aircooled VW engine and have a bug with an understatement in the performance section.
For me, that's what its all about.
Your milage may vary though