Thread: Holy Crap!!!
View Single Post
Old April 27th 2005, 23:18

I'm probably not gonna make any friends with what I have to say, but here goes: ("the truth will set you free")

Heim rod ends are designed to a link that needs to articulate. In order for the ball in a rod end swivel within the socket, there must be clearance. Makes sense right? If there was no clearance, the ball wouldn't move. So, it makes NO sense to me that people use heim joints for a stiffening component. For a link that has to rotate, it's the perfect component. For a link that is intended to be stiff and not move, is is the worst component. There is clearance within the joint itself that will only increase with wear. So basically people out there are designing a stiffening component that isn't stiff, and will get less stiff with wear. Hmmm.

Take a look around, all the guys in the know use a solid clevis end for any kind of chassis stiffening link. So why do you see the prevalance of heim joints in 'braces'. Think about it, it's easy to design. You don't have to concern yourself with proper angles and link orientation cuz the heim will take care of that. It's a cop-out for poor design.

Alright, I've vented.

Lanner