View Single Post
Old November 16th 2005, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
First off, what car is it going into?
A 1971 Super Beetle (1302).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
your wish list clearly means NO watercooled engine swap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
2056 TIV based on your criteria. the Suby is a tempting option, but you have that little radiator thing to deal with an after meeting Oasis this past weekend, i am feeling that he would rather not go that way, but i could be wrong. a TIV will get you what you want and a 2056 (100-110HP if i remember right) should come in around that price range with everything if you go with Raby.
I was a bit surprised to see a Suby suggestion first--in fact, at all. I would have thought the radiator (not mentioned in lazylongboarder's post) would have eliminated water-cooled choices because of the one-off pieces necessary--at least according to what I was following in other threads.

zen is right-on about my reluctancy towards a non-VW, non-air-cooled engine. (Was I that transparent? ) Seriously, I could be talked into anything if it stayed within my parameters but converting me to a Suby may be harder than converting my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vujade
you could also buy an 82 x 90.5 T1 (2165?)
Run an engle FK8. Power will be down low in the 2000
rpm range and redline around 6 grand. Would be good
for at least 130hp depending on heads.
An interesting alternative.

I had read in the past T4's are the kings of low-end torque. After viewing the dyno of my stocker, it made me question why a modified T1 couldn't do it if it does it in its stock form already.

Would both of these suggestions (2056 T4 and 2110 T1*) offer trouble-free maintenance with oil changes and tune-ups at regular intervals?

* - 90.5mm bore and 82mm stroke calculated to 2110cc if I did it right.