View Single Post
Old November 17th 2005, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
Wow attack! Man guys, where does this say no watercooled. You can get someone to install the radiator up front.
Now, now, now. Let's simmer down. The other posters are just looking after Dr. Technoklutz; not slamming you or your suggestion.

"Getting someone to install the radiator up front" may sound simple and dandy but it took me a while to find someone willing to install a T4 and associated tranny.

Here are some other things I have read. I understand some things relate to a non-bug and there are different Suby engines from which to choose. Nevertheless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep
My main concern right now is getting the engine to fit without cutting up any bodywork in the rear too keep it looking stock.

I'm using a 914 gearbox which is already installed and the rear of the bellhousing is at the stock 4 speed location. I can't move it any further forward without hacking into the torsion tubes ... and then there is the low sump ... don't want to raise the rear of the bug up. I've heard the 914 gearbox can take about 300 hp/300 tq without killing itself.

The pipes / rad / wiring are minor to me ... just have to make it fit first !
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
As long as you can push enough fuel to the motor ...

The car has built every thing down to the cryo treated crank, sleeved block, forged pistons and ported heads and everything else you can think of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl
I think I am going to go this route [of a Subaru engine] instead . I was already planning on having a custom tube chassis floorpan constructed , so this will help a lot in the install .
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.studiotuning.net/subynotch
After taking some measurements, I noticed the stock intercooler would hang over my transmission, but I would have to cut out my entire parcel shelf to get it to fit. I didn't want to cut up the notch, so there was going to be some movement of parts.

Here is what I did to get the motor to fit in the stock engine bay.
Flipped intake manifold around
Relocated intercooler
Relocated alternator
Cut and rewelded stock turbo wastegate ~ 1 inch
Flipped around stock fuel line/rail
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://frost.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions(TwilightChild)
So i need the motor, and the adapter plate, various plumbing needs to be run, as well as some piping for exhaust and my custom air to water intercooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://frost.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions(BugaRu)
...and best fit of them is the 2.2 Your need to taylor your water lines, and do something creative with your air intake ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom'72
don't know how exactly to attach the vacuum hoses yet
I understand fully this is doable. I understand there are no (or few) regrets by those who have done it. I am okay with Subaru in general. I like some of their cars although I haven't driven one since considering the purchase of a Brat back in '86. (I bought a Jetta GLI instead which started my VW ownership.)

There just seems to be an inexact science to this. An engine move of an inch or two, adapting the desired tranny, cutting aprons, getting fuel to the engine, installing a radiator and plumbing ...

I didn't read anyone saying this was a bad idea--just a bad idea for me.

Oh, I'm sure I could go to a speed shop or a custom shop or a ricer shop and have it done. But that would (1) change the installation costs and (2) require me to make many return trips to the installer. Why the latter? Because I guarantee you anyone within two hours of me who has done this is a private DIY'er and not a shop, and a shop will be doing this on a trial-and-error basis as it will be their first time.

I know some folks in the Euro-Asian crowd with similar inabilities as me making return trips for turbo tuning. That is one reason why I will probably supercharge my '02 Cabrio rather than turbocharging it.

Do you know what would probably be my first engine to build (or rebuild) if our next house has a garage? A stock 1600 T1. And even if it goes all fine and dandy, it will probably not go into anything but an experimental ratwagen.

That is where I am, and I think that is all that was being referred to since it was I who posed the hypothetical question in the first place.

I still haven't said no water-cooled engines. But words like "easy" and pronouns like "someone" isn't going to convince me because I know my limitations and I don't know very many someones. At this point, the odds of me going the Suby (or rotary) route are only above 0% if one is willing to go out enough decimal places.