Thread: GL Dreamin.
View Single Post
Old January 30th 2006, 00:56

GL Dreamin.

Hey guys tell me if Im just dreaming here.

Heres my situation:

Not long ago I flipped my daily driver, a 2002 Honda Civic and have been driving my 89 Nissan Truck and my VFR800 streetbike. I drive about 70 miles round trip everyday and want another car, my truck is, to say the least, well worn.

I have a 1974 1303 that was given to me, without a motor and I have a stockish 1600cc (I assume) dual port motor that was running when parked in a 63 project car I bought but never reworked. Both seem to be in pretty good shape. So, my thinking is this:

For the amount of money it would cost me to purchase another econobox, I thought I might just sink that money into the Super and build me one of these GL bugs and end up with something I LOVE (classic bugs) with some character and soul. So I would like to get it built for around $10,000. Is this possible.

Heres what I absolutely must have out of it though and this is where I could use your opinions.

Dead on reliability. I want to get in it and it go.
Good Interstate Performance. I want to go up and down hills and maintain at least 70mph.
Good ride. No bumping and bottoming out on pot holes.
Good Fuel Mileage. I would love to get 30 mpg. But will settle for as little as 20mpg.
Decent Perfomance in Acceleration and Cornering, so that its fun to hit the back roads.
Super Nice interior, all redone.
Nice paint and Porsche Wheels (I like the 95-98 993 wheels).
Disc Brakes (at least fronts)
I must be able to get two car seats in the back, for my twin boys.

Can I do all this and have a very nice, respectable German Looker for 10G's?

Also, one last wish for the car would be a turbo, like a lowbugget 1600T kit, that may be pushing the budget but I would love to have a turbo car.