View Single Post
Old April 13th 2003, 15:29

Not really, because I have done all the other weigth saving issues Julian mentioned already and for what the weigth of the type 4 itself is concerned: a type1 can not reach the same displacement of a type 4 period. This was my mean reason to go type 4 anyway: 2,7ltr is possible in a type 4 with 'street' reliability. Especially with a set of NOS Oettinger Nikasils :-) .

One further argument: an older mag cased 915 is way cheaper (at least over here, because the 911 2,7ltr cars are the least popular 911's) than the later alu cased gearboxes. The price is almost half! The money item is the least important in this case, for the same reason Julian swears to his alu cased 915: you want to make just the decision on such a project and for me that was the mag cased 915.

In GB, a turbo'd type 4 with 911 heads and 300+hp drag races his stock magnesium cased 915 gearbox and hasn't broken anything after several seasons, so I don't believe I need even more strength. Tip: a G50 box is said to be even stronger...
Well, each his own I guess.
Walter