View Single Post
Old July 14th 2008, 03:56

Weekend update, feels like i'm spinning my wheels...

Spent friday removing the fan shroud and alternator off the old motor to stick the alternator in the race motor. Tore it all down and put the welded fan on it as well as the aluminum back plate. Now that the alternator assembly was together I could properly clearance the DTM shroud... which took the rest of the day. A lot of trimming and fitting and trimming and fitting. Another project for friday was cutting new push rods since the last set was a bit short and I didn't want to pull any rocker block shims.

Saturday I pulled the old motor and tranny. Once those were out I tried fitting the 091 and adapter kit but I needed to clearance the frame horns. I ground down the inside seam so it was flush and seam welded them. I didn't want to cut into the body like I did with the last car and the adapter kit had the wrong kind of nose cone mount for a 73+ pan. While thinking about a front mount design I pulled the old gas tank out and put together the first fuel line for the motor. For peace of mind I set the front race rim (18x8.5 et50) in place to check clearance and it's fine all around.

Sunday after a little checking on the web I found the 10 degree mount for baja bugs. I don't think they are made anymore but I could make one just as easily. A couple peices of scrap angle iron and a cardboard template later I had a nose cone mount. This mount puts the shift shaft through the stock location so I can use the stock shift rod and coupler. The only thing that worries me is the tight fit for the clutch and throttle cables. For fun and to kind of wind down after 3 more days in the sun I fitted up the rear spoiler. It's an APR gt200 knock-off but it should still get the job done. It's 61 inches (155cm) across and reaches about the middle of the rear fenders. To mount it I turned the stanchions around backward and made an extension for the rear wing mounts. Its funny but it almost looks like it was supposed to be that way.